Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Drill

 
Bright and early this morning the ship alarms all started, followed by the captain's commanding voice declaring, 

"This is a drill, this is a drill, this is a drill -- This is an 'at sea' fire drill. Emergency crews report to your stations immediately!" 

Off stomped the Name Callers, The Muster Takers, The Lifejacket Crews, The Stairwell Helpers, The Cabin Checkers, The Medical Teams, and many others. Some went upstairs, some went down. 

Putting on my socks and sneakers and savoring the flavours of my one last sour plum, I waited impatiently to hear the second alarm signaling the rest of the crew to evacuate to deck seven. Before long there it was -- loud and long, piercing the muggy air with its urgency. 

Flying from my top bunk I took off out the door, slid round the corners and zoomed up the stairs. A few days ago I was told to map out two escape routes. Well, today I found my first plan of escape had been blocked fast by a huge watertight door. Spinning around I reverted to plan B... and escape I did!! There are many routes to deck seven. Relief was sudden and pleasant as the blast of stinky dock fumes flooded over me as I emerged onto the open upper deck. :) I found my muster station with no trouble and scrambled into the enormous yet snug life jacket. I was just preparing to dive of the railing into the brown waters below when I decided a lifeboat might be the better option. 

... Alright, alright, that was exaggerating slightly, sorry people. ;) Fact is, I waited calmly until the drill was over. 







2 comments:

  1. I think that water might not have been such a bad choice if it's really hot and muggy, ;-) if only the water wasn't brown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is that exciting, eh? LOL....

    ReplyDelete