Friday, February 11, 2011

Of Leaving Port And Finding Sea-legs.

A tug boat getting ready to tug.


One view from deck 8.
Yesterday the M/V Africa Mercy and her crew said goodbye to the port of Durban, SA. Cherishing our last fleeting steps on terra firma, we waved farewell to many friends onshore, and set off into the great big ocean. Our final destination will be Sierra Leone, West Africa. This is where the ship will spend the next ten months of field service providing free surgeries, health screenings and other practical, life-changing ministries that will bring hope and healing to some of the world's poorest people.   


Our long voyage has just begun... 


It was an exciting day. Our galley team was up and about cooking breakfast at five am. one last hot breakfast for the crew. A bit later in the morning, I was thinking of all the day's adventure when I heard a page for the gangway crew to lift the gangway. It dawned on me that our room's rubbish still needed emptying. Grabbing the bags I took off and raced down to the dumpster. All I could hear behind me were anxious shouts of "Run, run, hurry, run, HURRY Bobbi!!" So I ran and I hurried, and made it back just in time. Phew. (Haha, I think my previous garbage-taking-out experiences gave me the needed speed and courage this time). Our transition out of Durban harbor and into the open sea went really well, with the help of two tiny yet strong tug boats. 


The bridge.
Though awakened at times by mysterious crashing items, reminding me of all the things that should have been tied down, I made it through the first night at sea fairly well, just like a baby. Literally; tipping back and forth in my little cradle of a top bunk. So far, seasickness seems to be graciously absent, and for this I am truly truly grateful. 


They meant what they said about this ship not being a smooth ride!! It isn't! But while our sailing might not be smooth, the lack thereof sure provides for some interesting situations!! Almost weightless we float down the narrow hallways and up/down stairs, stumbling from side to side like a boatload of tipsy sailors. I was told to expect walking into walls. Well, I don't merely walk into the walls, I run into them with unplanned, unreserved vigor. 


A snapshot of a quieter time in harbor.
These are the two tug boats that pulled us out to sea.
I was absently drinking a cup of water in my cabin this morning when the ship keeled to one side and I received a face-load of cold water and a messy wet floor to clean up (Certainly provides one way to wake up in the morning). 


This is the calm sea too... hmm, I do wonder what the next few weeks have in store. But so far, I'm just enjoying the ride while continually being in awe over the impressiveness of the ocean, the rippling rainbows in the ocean spray and all the happy dolphins which love to swim at the bow of our ship!! 


"Who is like You, Lord God Almighty? You, Lord, are mighty, and Your faithfulness surrounds You. You rule over the surging sea; when its waves mount up, You still them." ~ Ps 89.8-9 

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to see the dolphins! But I doubt my stomach could handle life on a constantly rocking, rolling and swaying ship.
    The photo of the cup of coffee with the deep green ocean below is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Laura. I like the coffee picture. And personally, I liked the part of the story where you were hit with cold water from your cup. Any chance you got that on video??
    ;)

    ReplyDelete